About Me

Thursday, February 3, 2011
I've always been an avid reader. I've read most genres (my interest in the classics came to a screeching halt with my attempt to read War and Peace).

My current interest is primarily fantasy novels. These range from 'adult' novels to the ones you find in the teens' and children's sections. My interest in this genre started about a decade ago with my purchase of the first book in a seven-book series about a certain boy wizard ....

Some of these books are complex and lengthy, others are extremely simplistic and short, but all have one thing in common: a lot of imagination. Somebody -- or, in the case of multi-author books, more than one somebody -- has to gone to considerable trouble to create and populate a whole new world.

In this blog I will share my opinions of these books. If I'm reviewing a series, I'll look at each book both individually and with an eye toward how it fits into the series. Does it add to the overall story arc, or does it seem as if the author has begun to flag? Are the characters still believable? Are there glaring inconsistencies?

To those who don't read this genre, I hope my comments will spark some interest in it. To those who do, if you have an author, book or series you would like to recommend, I would love to hear about it.

4 comments:

{ Hellen } at: February 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM said...

Mona, i think i will enjoy reading your post because i have a lot imagination. I do not read fantasy but it would be a good experience to see why that gender atract you too much and why you recomend it.

{ Rachel M } at: February 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM said...

I could never really tell whether The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams was fantasy or science fiction. It's probably a bit of both. Nevertheless, it will always be one of my favourite books to read. Maybe you could read and review the series if you haven't already.

{ Mona } at: February 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM said...

Thanks, Hellen.

And Rachel, I think you are right in your assessment of the genre of Adams' series. I will put that on my list.

{ Sharra } at: February 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM said...

Hello Mona! I am also an avid reader, especially when it comes to scifi and fantasy. Have you read some of Jacqueline Carey or Sara Douglass? I adore Laurell K. Hamilton and Sherrilyn Kenyon as well. But I would like to recommend an older series for you to try... C.S. Forester's Hornblower series. It takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but it is a wonderful series... :)

Post a Comment